"For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.” John 6:27
At confirmation we receive the gifts of the Holy Spirit and confirm our baptismal promises. Greater awareness of the grace of the Holy Spirit is conferred through the anointing of chrism oil and the laying on of hands by the Bishop.
Confirmation perfects Baptismal grace; it is the sacrament which gives the Holy Spirit in order to root us more deeply in the divine filiation, incorporate us more firmly into Christ, strengthen our bond with the Church, associate us more closely with her mission, and help us bear witness to the Christian faith in words accompanied by deeds. (CCC 1316)
Through the Sacrament of Confirmation we renew our baptismal promises and commit to living a life of maturity in the Christian faith. As we read in the Lumen Gentium (the Dogmatic Constitution of the Church) from the Second Vatican Council:
“Bound more intimately to the Church by the sacrament of confirmation, [the baptized] are endowed by the Holy Spirit with special strength; hence they are more strictly obliged to spread and defend the faith both by word and by deed as true witnesses of Christ” (no. 11).
9th Grade Preparation for Confirmation
PLEASE NOTE there is an 8th grade RE requirement!
Please contact Jake Stuermer at jstuermer@Saintmonicas.com if you are a current 9th grader who did NOT attend 8th Grade Faith Formation Classes
* REGISTER for Faith Formation and pay all applicable fees.
* ATTEND Youth Group. All students must attend Youth Group or Pizza + Prayer, a minimum of once a month in 9th grade.
* FILL OUT Youth Group attendance forms. They MUST be completed and turned in at the end of each semester. Active involvement in the life of Saint Monica’s parish is strongly encouraged. More frequent attendance at youth group or pizza and prayer is highly recommended.
*MANDATORY Parent & Teen Meeting: The Parent and Teen information meeting is in January each year.
* COMPLETE the 6 session Confirmation Class that begin in January at St. Monica’s. The classes will be held on Sundays from 2:30-4:30pm. All 6 sessions are required to move on to 10th grade preparation.
The confirmation class will cover the following topics:
Class 1 God’s call and our response
Class 2 Scripture/Tradition /Magisterium
Class 3 Overview of Church History Since Pentecost & Saints
Class 4 The Mass and overview of the Sacraments
Class 5 Catholic Morality
Class 6 Confirmation and Gifts and Fruits of the Holy Spirit
* TAKE & PASS the exam at the end of the 6 week class.
* PICK a Confirmation Sponsor
* ATTEND the Sponsor/Candidate workshop and presentation Mass (Usually in March)
* PROVIDE a copy of your baptismal certificate to the religious education office (Even if you were baptized at Saint Monica's)
* TURN IN a fully completed confirmation packet by the date requested. This is provided at the parent/candidate meeting in January.
10th Grade FINAL Preparations
* ATTEND A FULL WEEKEND CONFIRMATION RETREAT! (September)
* PARTICIPATE in a final interview (September)
* COMPLETE the service hour requirements by the fall of your sophomore year, and bring the service log with you to your interview.
* Be faithful to living out the Catholic faith, desiring the Sacraments, and attending ...Mass every Sunday and on all Holy Days of obligation.
For on him the Father, God, has set his seal. (John 6:27)
Archdiocesan guidelines state, "reception of the sacrament of Confirmation will ordinarily occur when the youth is in 10th grade." Preparation can celebration of the sacrament of Confirmation is available to youth in the tenth grade or above who have completed the required guidelines.
If you have any questions about confirmation contact Jake Stuermer at 678-584-9947 X120 or email firstname.lastname@example.org